Business has been good. I just sold my first two nucs last Saturday. A gentleman drove up from Texas to purchase some late season nucs.
As you may be able to see in the picture, the grass is green again but it hasn't rained in two weeks. Here's about the worst it got.
Here, I recorded temperatures of 114.8F and went from June until August without significant rainfall.
Fortunately, the temperatures are far more reasonable than they have often been throughout this warm season. Since I last posted, I have set up my second outyard at a local organic free range chicken farm.
This pallet is on the bank of a small pond which is often dry. I put extra bricks on top in case the local goats decide they want to play king of the hill. With that many bricks, it's quite stable.
In preparation for the move to mediums, I have been buying equipment that will fit. As you should know by now, Mann Lake sells 4.95mm (PF-120) plastic frames which look something like this:
You can also see one of the medium division board feeders I bought and am currently using even though they're being used in deep hive body equipment. In fact, two hives have two each due to the fact that I sold those two nucs. And one could go even further if one wished.
Here are four feeders in a box just for fun. That would total about five gallons of syrup if you really wanted to pound it down. However, the drowning of bees could very well be quite significant.
I also purchased a little batch of Walter Kelley's foundationless medium frames. As is my custom, I trimmed the end bars to 1 1/4" and as you can see, eleven fit in a box. The box they are in is a former deep box which I trimmed down after the lower part rotted. There are five more that I have marked for this same modification. I did notice that the space between the topbars is pretty small, but I think it's still large enough for small cell bees to fit through, especially after the endbars have been propolized a bit. In the future, I think I may trim the topbars a little bit so as to maintain a larger beespace.
Here you can see the beveled edge of the Kelley frame. I was expecting more of a sharper edge, but we'll see how this works. I have heard good things.
Going into fall, situations surely could be better. I harvested no honey and many of the hives, in fact all the new ones, are either very low on stores or have none at all. I am usually against feeding artificial feeds, but in this case, even if I had all the honey I ever produced, it might not be enough to get these hives through. So I have to feed. The heavy splitting I did earlier in the season allowed an increase in hives but a massive decrease in honey. Such are Arkansas' seasons. I am considering the fact that in the long run, it may be far more profitable to produce nucs rather than honey. We shall see. Until then, I need to get these bees through the winter. Lately, every week I have been taking two and now three five gallon buckets filled with four gallons of 3:2 sugar syrup to the yards. That's $15 a bucket. No bueno. Soon, I'll fill the feeders up with granulated sugar as the bees will stop taking syrup. Then, it will be up to them. Gotta keep a little survivorship in there.
Don't forget to check in at parkerfarms.biz from time to time as I continue to add content there as well. Suggestions are always welcome. Visit beesource.com where I am the moderator of the Treatment-Free Beekeeping section of the forum as well.