Sunday, March 17, 2013

So Much for My 100% Survival

I inspected my south yard yesterday and found a couple interesting things, one of which I have shown before.  It's a hive that created its own dam of propolis across the entrance area presumably to act as an entrance reducer.

Secondly, that hive died.

That makes it one hive dead for this winter, a percentage loss of 4.3%.

While opponents of treatment-free beekeeping continue to disagree, I'm considering this a wild success.  For three years now, my losses have been below, well below, or far below industry and national averages.  This is not a miracle, it's the result of nature handling disease and a decent beekeeper handling management.  This latest inspection demonstrates a greater number of active and productive hives

No comments:

Post a Comment